Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Interactive Writer

I have been involved in many kinds of writing. I found "Writing for Many Media" very informative. The best part of the chapter, or at least the part that looks most like a child got let loose with a marking pencil, was the section on web pages. I thought this was great information. A lot of it was simular to the advice I got when I was learning copywriting for print ads. It was good basic information: Know your audience. Be clear and keep your writing simple. And of course, the one I have the nost trouble with - Be brief.
I also liked the the research on what people respond to. Like the fact that most people like short simple sentences, but read longers sentences faster. Since I am in the process of developing my own web page, having this information on the top of my brain will really help me stay on track. At least that the theory.

2 comments:

  1. Like you, I noticed that much of the advice that this chapter provided was similar to what most English classes teach (especially tecnical writing courses). I forgot about all of the reseach on how people respond to certain things while I was writing my post, but I thought that was really interesting too. I'm not a fan of reading textbooks, but this one has a lot of fascinating facts (well at least chapter two did). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. am glad you guys got some good insights from this week's reading. morgan and montana, your connections of the principles here to previous lessons are quite telling. writing for interactive media indeed goes beyond print, audio, or scriptwriting, encompassing all forms of multimedia. what a challenge for us in this class!

    ReplyDelete